Share |

The district derives its name from Thar and Parkar. The name Thar is from Thul, the general term for the region sand ridges and Parkar literary means "to cross over". It was earlier known as Thar and Parkar district, but later became one word Tharparkar. Until 1990, the present district of Tharparkar, Umerkot and Mirpur Khas comprised one district with Mirpur Khas its headquarters. The division into two separate districts on 31st October, 1990, i.e. Mirpurkhas and Thar established the town of Mithi as the new headquarters of the Tharparkar district, while Umerkot was bifurcated on 17th April 1-993.

The district lies between 24 10' to 2545' north latitudes and 69' 04' to 7106' east longitude. It is bounded on the north by Mirpurkhas and Umerkot districts, on east by Barmer and Jaisselmir districts of India, on west by district Badin and on south by Rann of Kutch. The total area of the district is 19,638. square kilometers.

Rivers and Streams:

There is no river or stream in the district. However, in Nagar Parkar there are two perennial springs named Acbleshwar and Sardharo as well as temporary streams called Bhetiani river and Gordhro river after the rains.


The district has a tropical desert climate. In summer, when it is too hot during day time, the nights are remarkably cooler. April, May and June are the hottest months during the day. December, January and February are the coldest months. The mean maximum and minimum temperature during this period are 28C and 9C respectively.

There are wide fluctuations in the amount of rain fall from year to year and the yearly average for some areas is as low as 100 mm. Most of the rain falls between July and September, during the south -west monsoon, and is often concentrated in a period of two to three days.

History The history of this district is similar to that of other districts of the lower Sindh region. The major portion of Thar desert was in occupation of Parmar Rajputs named sodha and portion from east Chachro to Gadra and some area of Taluka Umerkot and Taluka Khipro of Sanghar District known as Khaor was ruled by Rathors. Sumras, a branch of Parmar Rajputs, possessed a portion of Mithi and Diplo talukas west of Chachro known as Deirak Pargna. When Mehmood Ghaznavi led expeditions on Somnath, it is believed that he passed through this desert a number of times.

In 1053 the Sumras embraced Islam taking advantage of the weak control of the Ghazni rule, broke off their allegiance and succeeded in establishing a chief of their own as an independent ruler of the eastern delta. Sumras of desert also acted similarly, claimed to be independent and captured Umerkot making it their capital. They then extended their rule practically to the entire desert. But it appears that the Sultans at Delhi continued to reassert their authority and Sumras were punished by Ghiyas-uddin and then by his son Muhammad Shah. In 13th or 14th century another Rajput tribe named Samma con- verted to Islam. In 1353 Sammas set up Jam Umer at Thatta as their ruler. The line ended with Jam Feroze who was defeated by Shah Baig Arghun in 1529.

In 1558 the Kalhora family rose into prominence. In the times of Noor Muhammad Kalhora a Baloch tribe of Talpur came into prominence in 1778. The struggle for power en- sued between Kalhoras and Talpurs and in 1783 Mir Fateh Ali Khan first of the Talpur line established himselfas Rais ofSindh and obtained afarman from the Afghan King Shah Zaman for his Government.

It was in 1843 when Sir Charles Napier became Victor of Sindh and this part was merged into katch Political Agency and Hyderabad Collectorate. Later on in 1858 the entire area became part of Hyderabad. Subsequently in 1860 it was renamed as "Eastern Sindh Frontier" with its Head Quarters at Umerkot handled by Political Superintendent. In 1882 it was renamed as District and its administrative head was Deputy Commissioner. Lastly in 1906 Head Quarters of the District was shifted to Mirpurkhas. Now in recent arrangements i.e. in December, 1990 district Tharparkar was bifurcated into two districts -Mirpurkhas and Thar- with its Head Quarters at Mithi. In October, 1993 the name of present district was again notified as Tharparkar.

Culture, Customs and Traditions Shah Latif portrayed whatever he searched out in the passionate lyricism with seven characters, all women symbolizing the determination for upholding 'truth' in an antagonistic status-quo largely directed by ever changing tide of time. Tharparkar is the central theme of this classical text consummated by the fascinating lyric and rhythm, Marvi a local Thari girl symbolizes the human attachment and relation ship with the institutions and traditions. The history of Tharparkar, in letter and spirit, is the account of this sentimental humanoid attachment and its reaction towards the changing nature of social fabric.

The indigenous myth and measures to cope with calamities like draught and dearth were loosing their potential in the wake of strong influence of cash economy. The fascinating colour of grazing lands and the romantic instinct of tending the flocks of cattle are diffusing in the mushrooming needs of daily life.

The tribes and castes in Tharparkar adopt a kaleidoscopic settlement pattern rather than territorial segregation. Successive waves of invasion have therefore created a mosaic of cultures and ethnic groups in Thar. But all have, in time, bowed to similar means of production and to a common material culture.

The Tharis are honest, hard-working people and are very generous in hospitality. The gatherings between castes is largely restricted to men. The locale for such interactions being the "autak". Each hamlet will have at least one "autak" situated a discrete distance beyond the thorn hedge of the family quarters. Failing an "autak" the nearest shady tree is designated for meetings with outsiders.

Women largely communicate within their own caste, within which they marry exclusively. Opportunities for meeting women ofother castes become more restricted with higher status. Rajput women observe strickpurdah (seclusion) while poorer Bajeer, Bheel, Menghwar and Kohli are freer to undertake their field tasks.

Historical Places


This is known as gate way of the desert. The town has a fort of Talpur period which is still existing in the original shape. Talpurs had also built forts in Islamkot, Singaro and Mithi, which are not prominent as of Naukot.


Gori, some 23 Kms north -west from Virawah, contains a very fine old lain temple measuring 38 metres by 15 and built of marble. It was for several times plundered due to its popularity for abundances in wealth. It is a symbol of unique ancient construction.


Nagar Parkar in 24 21' north latitude and 70 47' east longitude is the chief town in the taluka of the same name. It is situated to the east of a range of low hills. This town is believed to be of some antiquity, and the existence of several ruined tanks in and about it seem to indicate a more prosperous condition in times gone by than is the case at present. About three kilometers to the south, in the Karunjhar rock, was/is a place of pilgrimage called Sardhara where there is a temple of Mahadeve. Below the temple to the north is a pool of water at which the Hindus perform ceremonies of the dead. Near the pool was a fort said to have been built by Chandan son of Gobindrai. The fort was destroyed in 1859 by order of the British Government in connection with the rebellion. At a distance of a Kilometer from Sardhara to the south is a stone statue of a cow against the rock out of which water flows into a tank. The tank is always full of water. Another place ofpilgrimage is Anchlisar, where there is a ling of Mahadev. There are three tanks here filled by springs.

Reportedly this area was part of sea which was to be crossed therefore it was named as "Parkar". Literally it meal1s to cross over. Nagarparkar has on its north Chachro taluka and on west Mithi taluka of Tharparkar district. While on east of it Jodhpur. Rajistan (India) and on its south Rann of Kutch. The surrounding of Nagarparkar city comprisil1g of 62 kilometers area named as Parkar which is a Rocky belt and the remaining part is sandy area. Climatically the small rocks and sandy bhits both become extreme cold in winter and hot in summer. The Karoonjhar Hills art: circularly surroul1dil1g the Nagarparkar city for 26 kilometers. The granite stone of this mountain is used for making tiles. In summer different sounds are audible from the rock due to sulphur deposits.


Mithi 24" 44' north latitude and 69" 51' east longitude. the head quarters of the district and taluka of that name, It possessed a Municipality, but it was abolished in 1905, It now contains a D.C" office. Mukhtiarkar office, Police station dispensary, Vernacular school. a Girls's school, a Post office and Musafirkhana, Embroidery work is done at Mithi, The nearest railway station is Chhor 53 kilometers distant, There are the ruins of two forts belonging to the periods at the beginning of last century when the Talpurs were bringing Thar and Parkar under their dominion, The principal one to the south of the village is the site of a sarai. It used to contain nine guns, The other is to the west of the village on a slight elevation.


Virawah situated in north latitude 24" 31' and east Longitude 70" is a village about 24 kilometers from the town of Nagar Parkar. and is interesting only on account of the number of Jain ruins contained in the remaining of the old town of Pari Nagar adjacent. There are different traditions about Pari Nagar which is said to have been founded in the fifth or sixth century and to have been destroyed in the twelfth. It was a very populous and flourishing town. It is now a brick heap and only one small Jain temple remains standing. It was here that Mr. Giles. when Deputy Commissioner of the district. obtained the magnificently carved block of marble which is no"' in the Karachi Museum.


This is the native village of Marvi, the most cherished and respected daughter of this land, a symbol of patriotism and chastity, who did not succumb to any pressure or lure. On the contrary she preferred to accept a pure thari life full of poverty and problems, instead of becoming Queen. This area is historically known as Malir, whereas present named Bhalwa become popular when Bhee/ settled at this village and renamed it as Bhalwa.


Bhodisar is situated 3 kilometers away in the north. west of Nagarparkar, beneath the Karoonjhar Hills. This town happened to be the prosperous and affluent city of the time, which is eminent from the ancient constructions still found there. This place Bhodesar was formerly known as Bhodesar Nagry. There lived one Queen Bhodi. She had constructed a beautiful pond having metalled base. According to historians. on his way back to CJhazna. Sultan Mehmood Ghaznavi. after the consequent of Somnath in 1026 decided to pass through this desert. During his journey he lost the track and in search of water he arrived at this pond. Subsequently he constructed a memorial at this place which was later converted into Mosque by Sultan Mehmood Begra. Bhodisar was inhabited by Sodhas and Khosas who were the famous bandits and the people were scared of them. The repeated complaints were reaching in the court of Tughlaque in Delhi. resultantly Sultan Mehmood Begra lead his expedition to Parkar in 1504. and went back. Later his mother was looted at the same place along with other travelers. This instigated Sultan Mehmood Bogra to route out Sodhas and Khosas. He came in 1505 with full preparation and fought a bloody war at Bhodesar and constructed a beautiful mosque at this place. At this place about six kilometer north, north-west from Nagar Parkar there are the remains of three ancient Jain Structures supposed to have been built in A.D., 1375 and 1449. Two of them were previously used as stalls for cattle. and the third, the interior of which was very beautifull and interesting, had large holes in the back wall and was in a very neglected state. Close by is a tank 400 feet by 200, said to have been built 600 years ago by Bhoda Parmar, son of Prince Jeso Parmar, who finding that it would not retain water remedied the defect, under the advice of the Brahmans, by sacrificing his son to the goddess of the town.


Warvai is the small village comprising of nine hundred souls situated some 12 kilometers away from lslamkot on the main track leading towards Nagarparkar. On drilling of the site, coal has been recovered at this place. This is one of the 13 places in this district from where the coal deposits have been found.


This is a small village situated 14 kilometers in the south of Nagarparkar, area was occupied by Thakurs (Sodhas) who migrated to India during 1971 War, The prominence of this area is only because it provide suitable soil and climate for agriculture This soil is extremely suitable for vegetables specially for onion, Besides sweet water is easily available at the depth of 25 to 40 feets, According to experiments each well can irrigate atleast four acres of land.



The city of Muzaffarabad, located at a height of 2,250 feet above sea level is a tourist delight. It is located in a beautiful lush green valley, surrounded by forest covered mountains, where only small...

read more

Before 1947 the local government system in Sibi district was governed by the Bazar Regulations introduced in 1910 by the British Government. The members of local bodies were nominated members...

read more

Rahim Yar Khan district is located in Punjab. It was declared as a separate administration district in 1943. The district derives its name from its headquarters Rahim Yar Khan. The previous...

read more

Quetta lies at the altitude of 1,675 meters. It is a small city of about 1 Million people. It is one of the few planned cities of Pakistan. The pleasantly...

read more

Karachi the largest and the most populace city of Pakistan, presents an interesting and colorful combination of the old and new. The narrow twisting lanes and alleys of the old city throb...

read more

Copyright © . All rights reserved.
Powered By Pakwatan-e-Services International